Dismissal in Spain
05 January, 2021
Did you know that over four-hundred thousand people are fired in Spain every year? 30% of these dismissals are not done in writing. How does employee dismissal work in Spain?
The employee contract can be terminated by the employer, if there has been serious negligence or breach of duty by the employee, for example:
- Repeated, unjustified absenteeism or tardiness.
- Indiscipline or disobedience in the workplace.
- Verbal or physical offence against the employer, fellow employees, or their family members.
- Breaches of trust during the course of work.
- A voluntary or continuous decline in performance, including for reasons of drug or alcohol abuse.
- And finally: sexual harassment, or, harassment based on racial or ethnic origin, religion, belief, disability, age, or sexual orientation is legal grounds for dismissal.